Thursday, June 29, 2006

the Demon Trap

There is a blogger demon in my computer. Three times, I tell you, three times, I have put heart and soul into starting a new post. Thought we had milked all out of Da Vinci we could. And I wrote a piece to the very end. Checking deftly for typos and errors. Finally satisfied, the blogger demon reared its ugly head and ate my blog before I could publish it. Gone. Disappeared. Not to be found in the deepest bowels of the computer. I shook it. I tried to trick it. I swore at it. I pleaded with it. Nothing. Nil. Blank. That demon is tricky like my cat. Cannot be found if it doesn’t want to be found. Many times I cannot find my cat. Even though I am convinced that I know all her hiding places. Even though I search all of them and more. even though I call her, try to lure her with food, the cat is somehow spirited away. And when I least expect it she will suddenly sit in front of me with dreamy eyes, like a little Buddha, innocent, alluring, pointing at her dish and making me feel guilty that it is empty. Nah, that last part isn’t true. But hey there is always fiction in truth and truth in fiction. Right? But you know, the demon never shows himself. Is it a male demon? Of course it is! Why? Never mind. I have decided. The demon is forever evasive. Cannot be seen. Like the face of God. According to Jewish scripture and C.S. Lewis. The demon is the scary, negative side of computer technology. Computers, I always emphasize, have me in total awe on one side, and scare the hell out of me another way. This electronic technology holds heaven and hell in its bowels. Makes me happy often, and makes me swear at it probably more times. Gets out the demon in me. That’s what demons do, right? In dreams, they say, when you face your demons, they fade away. That has worked for me. But my computer is not a dream. And there is a demon in my computer. HELP !!! Maybe I should make it fun and design a “Name The Demon” contest. There is a theory, I think from the fox in “The Little Prince”, that when you name things you tame them. What do you do with a tame demon? Same things as you do with a drunken sailor?

Ha! I did it. I wrote it in the Word program and copied and pasted it. See if it goes through now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops forgot to sign. If you didn't get it, it was Wild Thing who wrote that!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of demons, and dreams, I had this dream the other night where I was the demon. Actually, an evil wizard - evil through and through. I was dressed from head to toe in a wizard's cloak (black), and I floated straight up from the ground. I threw fireballs that came out of my hand - out of me, I suppose. I was truly and gloriously evil - so evil, I sceamed an evil scream so that Bobby Bacon would wake me up from my sleep.

But on waking, and pondering the dream, it was rather empowering to have been the evil demon-wizard...

Duck when you see me to avoid the fireballs.

Larry Keiler said...

Blogger has an "add-on" called Blogger for Word which you can download. It adds a blogger toolbar to Word so that you can compose directly into Word and post from the document. Information is here:
href= "http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=1180"

You need Windows 2000 or later.

Larry Keiler said...

Damn, the link didn't work...

Larry Keiler said...

You'll just have to go to Blogger Help and type Blogger for Word in the Search...that will take you to a link that actually works.

Anonymous said...

Sjees Larry, I tried that and to download that toolbar seems more complicated than to just copy and paste. I get easily confused. So many instructions. What seems simple to some is wir-war to me. Thanks for trying to simplfy my life. I guess I will not qualify as your top student.

xena, you demon you, dreaming your evil side into being. Did you wake up on your own or did bb wake you? I've screamed myself awake from evil dreams but I was never it, just was there and witnessed, scaring and super annoying my ex by my curdling screams. Which in hindsight made me chuckle.

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog, Wild Thing. Good for you for persevering.

Computers are not for the faint of heart.

You are BRAVE, Wild Thing.

As for demon Xena, I'm quaking in my boots now...