Monday, October 10, 2005

Something Good - Jumping Off The Train Bridge

By Bob Paul

That is my first thought of each day. And each day something good does happen. Sixteen hours of the day can go poorly and then in one brief moment something good happens. That one good moment makes the whole struggle worth it.

I wrote a short story “Suddenly Quiet” based on best friends of mine that have died. The story is about Brian and Irene. They meet in the middle of a train bridge high above the Ottawa River. I jumped off that bridge many years ago. Brian persuaded me to jump, which I recorded in the book “Sandcastle Memories.” It has been fictionalized but I can’t decipher between fiction and fact anymore. I write in third person and assume the role of David.

Brian had made him laugh and had pushed David to his very limits of perception.
They had walked along the railway bridge that crossed the Ottawa River. David, a stickler for rules, had protested that they were trespassing on railway property. Every time he mentioned it, Brian would roar with laughter.

“David, outside of my job, I just have one rule, and that rule is passion and compassion.”

“Meaning what?”

“Meaning, look out there. See this?” Brian pointed out from the bridge.” This is where we are.”

David looked in the direction Brian was pointing.

“Do you see it?” Brian asked.

“See, what?”

“Christ almighty, David. You are so fucking desperate for solitude. Have you ever in your life ever opened yourself up to anyone or anything?”

David felt his anger rise, but he quickly subdued it, not allowing his friend to get under his skin. Staring blankly out over the river he had no idea what Brian wanted..

“Aw, man! Would you at least do this for me? Close your eyes. What do you feel?” Brian asked.

David closed his eyes. “I feel the breeze on my face and hands.”

“Good, we have established that you do feel. Now open your eyes and describe what you see.”

“The Ottawa River,” David said.

“Is that all?

“Sure.” David shrugged his shoulders.

“You know what I see out there? Images of something real, true, ecstatic, blissful, revealing, wondrous, magical, and divine. Water stretching for miles. Gulls hanging on puffs of air. And do you know what else?”

David shrugged again.

“I see the face of God!” With that statement, Brian walked away.

So Brian yeah, my buddy and my best friend died in a sailing accident near Kingston Ontario in 1991.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I really like the look of thisyer blog. It is defnitly scribish.

Larry Keiler said...

Larry says hey, you gotta fix that time code.

Anonymous said...

Is that all ya gotta say, Larry Keiler? I've never known you to be so quiet!